PLC Software Engineer
Leiden, Zuid-Holland, NetherlandsR&D
Are you a PLC Software Engineer who enjoys overseeing various software modules and collaborating on the same software project? Do you get excited about commissioning new machines and test solutions, where you both program yourself and manage external software engineers? Then, the position of PLC Software Engineer at In Ovo may be of interest to you.
About our company
Since we started out in 2011, we have been developing an automated process to determine the sex of a chick while still inside the egg. We aim to prevent the hatching and then culling of billions of male chicks worldwide just because they do not lay eggs. In 2020, we installed the first version of our Ella machine in a hatchery. Since then, we have developed the technology further, and a new, improved Ella began operating in 2022.
Ella is only the initial step on our journey, our first pioneering innovation. We are determined to develop our business further and create many more innovative ideas. When it comes to animal welfare and climate change, all sorts of challenges exist and cry out for imaginative ideas and unconventional solutions. These are precisely the challenges that drive us forward.
At In Ovo, we combine analytical insight with a no-nonsense approach. We don’t get caught up in endless discussions. And we don't stare at the screen for hours on end. We look at the hatcheries from the inside. Because our solutions have to work for them if what we do is to succeed.
Our high-tech Ella machine is controlled by software that enables all the machine's components to work together. Much of the software is provided by our machine builder. Once it is delivered, you have the ability to analyze the software, identify any errors, and ensure that they are corrected.
In your role as a PLC Software Engineer, you oversee the various software modules and, when necessary, coordinate external software developers. You are skilled in setting up version control software and have experience collaborating on the same software project.
You excel at establishing an architecture and actively participate in programming. Additionally, you enjoy solving complex problems related to our high-tech Ella machine alongside our multidisciplinary team.
- BSc (or MBO degree with at least 5 years of relevant work experience) in the field of (Technical) Informatics, Industrial Automation, or Electronics.
- High level of abstraction, thinking in objects and structures (OOP).
- Knowledge of the ISA-88 standard is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with Beckhoff TwinCAT 3 or CODESYS-related PLCs.
- Experience with the following programming languages: Structured Text (ST) and optionally .NET.
- Proficient in English language, Dutch is a plus.
- A driver's license B and the willingness to travel regularly for short durations, primarily within Europe.
What we offer
Working as a PLC Software Engineer at In Ovo means contributing to a fast-growing, ambitious organisation. You will deal with interesting and sometimes complex business development projects, issues and brainteasers. In Ovo is a company large enough for you to work on a wide range of topics but small enough to stamp your mark and make a difference. Our culture is informal and the lines of communication short.
We also offer the following:
- A scale-up company setting that allows you to benefit from unique opportunities that have a global impact on animal welfare
- A ground-breaking environment where you enjoy a lot of responsibility and can constantly seek out new opportunities and ways to develop
- 25 days holiday per year (and the option to buy more), a pension and a working-from-home allowance
- An annual budget of € 1,500 for personal development
Interested but still in doubt?
If you find the position interesting but have a few doubts, that is completely understandable.
Candidates who think they do not fully meet all the requirements tend to refrain from applying for certain positions. Unfortunately, this is more prevalent among women and people from ethnic minority backgrounds. So, we welcome applicants even if they have some doubts. We look forward to discussing your qualities and perhaps offering you a suitable position with our organisation.
Please apply by sending your CV and a short application letter. If you have any questions, please contact Ralph Roels, Recruiter, at +31 614139696 of via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not contact us with unsolicited services or offers using the contact details for this vacancy.